I was able to convert a few StarDict dictionaries to .dictionary files which are compatible with native dictionary application.
These are :
- vAchaspatyam-sa (वाचस्पत्यम्)
- kalpadruma-sa (शब्दकल्पद्रुमः)
- AkhyAtachandrikA (आख्यातचन्द्रिका)
- Apte-bi (Dictionary by Apte)
- Apte (Dictionary by Apte)
- Amara-Onto (अमरकोशः)
- Amara-Context2 (अमरकोशः)
- Amara-Context (अमरकोशः)
- Amara (अमरकोशः)
These will allow to find you any definition of any word which occurs in those dictionaries. It’s a boon for Sanskrit lovers to have these big/bulky dictionaries in digital/searchable form.
- Downloadable files are available HERE. Download them.
- If you get files with .dictionary extension, then fine. If you get any other compressed format (.7z, .zip, .rar), then un-compress them.
- Open Dictionary Application from Launchpad.
- Go to menu bar — File > Open Dictionaries Folder
- Copy those .dictionary files there by dragging.
- Close the Dictionary Folder.
- Go to Dictionary Application.
- Go to menu bar — Dictionary > Preference
- Select your desired dictionaries.
- Close (Command+W).
- Type Words.
The software which was used to convert these is DicUnifier (free). Thanks to the developer
Some StarDict files converted easily, while others were taking ages. So, those which were successfully converted are being put on Mediafire.
If some of you succeed to convert those, please share files with us.
There are a few benefits of using native application instead of ColorDict/GoldenDict on Mac OS. First, the appearance is very good, clean. Second, it allows you to look up words from many applications.
Although we have pop-up option for GoldenDict available, I prefer native application for security reasons too. GoldenDict is not avvailable in AppStore and you need to disable protection to install it. I don’t like this.
Please, check these websites for more clarity and help:
Here is a snapshot from the Dictionary Application showing active dictionary files:
Update : 20.07.2019
- Coverted more dictionaries with pyglossary.
- Checking and uploading all dictionaries as https://github.com/lalitaalaalitah/Sanskrit_Dictionary_For_MacOs
- Please, head to the above GitHub page for getting those dictionaries.